Success can mean different things for different people. For others, it can be academic prestige and renown. For some, it could be athletic, musical, or other feats of achievement. The disparity in its meaning for each individual is often the reason for confusion. Confusion as to what it success truly means.
Understanding what success truly is can help you achieve your goals and aspirations. It helps you keep your eye on the prize, and it helps you stay true to your vision and mission. It acts as a key to success in life, by teaching you a lot of things that require sacrifice, practice, patience, and honesty.
What is Success?
Success is basically the opposite of failure. It is the status of having attained and completing a goal, or objective. Being successful means that an individual has achieved his/her planned ambitions and desired visions. It can also be a specific social status describing a flourishing person who could’ve possibly gained acclaim for the positive outcome it offers.
The meaning of success widely varies from person to person, and it’s important to know that it’s not your job to create a generalised meaning of the word. Instead, it’s your job to discover the meaning of success for you. Success is more than just having a ton of money, a treasure chest full of medals, or any other form of tangibles that we try to connect it with.
Defining Success in Your Terms
It’s time that you create a definite map of what success means to you. Forget about what other people think, and their presumptions about success. Forget all of it for a second and ask yourself: “What does success mean to me?”
Defining success for yourself is very important because it will give you a path to follow. No longer will you conform to other people’s vision of success, making you adjust yourself to fit their definition. Instead, you’ll be aiming your attention and energy at what it means to you, effectively becoming the key to success in life for you.
How to Achieve Success
There’s always a process for everything. You can’t expect to simply become successful overnight. There’s a procedure to follow, and to help you get the ball rolling, here are some important tips you could use:
- Identify Your Goal – Identifying and setting your goals will help you focus your attention and energy, rather than having it scattered. You’ll be more efficient this way, and it’ll yield better results.
- Strategise Your Milestones – Milestones mark improvement. Plan and set them strategically, to encourage growth.
- Act on Your Plans – Once you’re done identifying your goals and strategising your milestones, it’s now time to take action. Execute your plans and if needed, seek assistance from others, but don’t quit on it. Keep grinding and stick to the plan.
- Know when to be Versatile – Although it’s important to stick with your plans, it is equally vital that you know when to be versatile. If an opportunity presents itself, be wise enough to grab it, for it may help you achieve your goals more quicker.
- Work-Life Balance – No matter how hectic things may get in your pursuit for success, always maintain a work-life balance. You are not a machine. You are a living, breathing, human being, so treat yourself like one. Go out on dates, on vacations, eat out in your favorite restaurant, and enjoy life as it is.
While it is true that everyone has their own definitions for success, the feeling of success is mutually shared to everyone. It is an emotion that makes us proud of ourselves or of someone who has achieved something that makes them happy. Happiness is key to success in life, and as long as you, or anyone you know, feels that way; then that is already success in every sense of the word.
Sharon Kaibel is a performance and productivity coach. Sharon helps business owners create the strategy, structure and systems to build and grow a profitable business. Join her Closed Facebook Group, the #ACHIEVERNETWORK for the community, resources and trainings to become an extraordinary achiever.